Globe iconLogin iconRecap iconSearch iconTickets icon

Timeline - 1960s

Oct. 1, 1961: Roger Maris hits his 61st home run in the season's final game to establish a Major-League record.

June 24, 1962: Jack Reed's two-run, 22nd-inning home run ends the longest game in Yankee history, a 9-7 win at Detroit.

Nov. 2, 1964: CBS purchases 80% of Yankees for $11,200,000. The network later buys the remaining 20%.

June 8, 1969: "Mickey Mantle Day" is celebrated at Yankee Stadium and his uniform number (7) is retired.